Leather Banner

Leather Banner

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Three Ring Binder Part II


Now that I have completed the tooling of my three ring binder I am going to move onto staining and assembling the piece.  One thing to remember, if you are going to mark the leather with guide markers for the holes for stitching, do this before you stain.  I did not but it wasn't the end of the world as I wanted to use double loop stitch anyway.  So I stained the piece and let it dry.  Before I put this piece together I need to shape it so it will go together properly.  (Unlike the journal entry this piece could be shaped before you punch the holes or after.  The important part is I waited until I was one tooling before I shaped it.)  The instructions called for a "V" gouge to cut a groove into the flesh of the back cover.  I do not have this piece so I used my swivel knife instead.  Basically I found the exact center of the back cover and drew a line on the back using my t square.  Then I measured an inch from center on both sides and drew a line for each.


Now I just wet the leather and cut with my swivel knife on the outside lines.  The instructions also call for a bone folder which I do not have either.  (I must say I don't really find it very useful as I just use my t square or something rigid to shape my pieces.  If anyone out there using a bone folder and swears by them please drop me a line and give me your take.)


Now it is time to assemble.  In the kit there were three cardboard pieces that are to be placed between the lining and outside cover to give the the piece a rigid back.  Using rubber cement I glued these to the flesh side of the leather.  There are two larger pieces that go on the each side and small thin one for the spine.  After they set for a few minutes I then cemented the other side and the flesh side of the lining and placed it on top.  The instructions go into a complicated way to do this last step but I decided to do it my own way.  I slowly rolled the lining onto the piece and made sure all grooves were lined.  After an initial goof I reapplied and it worked wonderfully.  Finally I glued the pocket on in the appropriate place.  Time to let it dry.

After letting the cement set I placed some bulldog clips on the piece to be sure it will hold.  (If you do this be sure to put a folded paper towel under the clip on the tooled side so it doesn't mark up the leather.)  On to punching the holes.  Using my 1/8 punch I stropped it and punched four corner holes.  Then I moved to my four prong 1/8 punch.  This made the punching easy.  I went around the edged eyeballing the line keeping it as straight as possible.


 When I would get to a corner I would re position the punch so it would not mess up the corner hole.  (If you are off a little here it isn't a big deal.  Especially if you are doing a double loop stitch.)  When you cover the rest of the edge you are ready to stitch.



I finished this off with a double loop stitch and I think it turned out great.  I really like this piece and will have a really hard time letting it go.  I'm glad I still have the design to work with so I can make more of these on different items.

That's all for now.  I'm working on a cell phone cover now.  I think you will like my design.  I had originally intended for it to be in the spirit of iPhone 4S announcement but the passing of Steve Jobs overshadows that.   We are able to do the things we do today on computers because of him and his revolutionary ideas.  It was almost two years ago when I picked up my iPhone for the first time having never owned an Apple product before.  It has changed my life.  The way I interact with the world has been fundamentally changed because of Apple.  I realize I'm repeating what countless others are saying, and I'm sure they are saying it more eloquently than I, but I still feel I need to say it.  

I hope you have found peace Mr. Jobs.  iThank You.

Thanks for reading and until next time, Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment