Leather Banner

Leather Banner

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Our First Project

Today we are going to talk about getting ready for our first project.  In a day or two I will be posting the actual project itself but I decided to show you all what I will be working with so you can get your things together before we begin.

First I'm using the basic checkbook kit from Tandy Leather Factory:


There are no bells or whistles with this project.  It is just a basic checkbook cover with two pockets and after we are done, it will have a nice design on the front.  These are one of the many kits you can purchase from Tandy Leather Factory or any other leather craft retailers.  I like these as they include everything you need to make the kit (other than the tools).  One word of caution, you may want to purchase and use a higher quality leather lace than what is included.  I will be using the lace included as I am used to working with this lace and I know how to keep it intact.  The lace in the kit is of a lower quality and will break if you are not careful.  This isn't the end of the world but it can be annoying.  Also, this has happened to me from time to time, they only include just enough lace to finish the project and no more.  This can be a problem if you do, in fact, break the lace a few times as it takes more lace than normal to make splices.  These are things I will go into more detail as we go through the project but I wanted to mention them now in case you wanted to just avoid it altogether and use your own.

As I mentioned before the kit includes everything you need to put it together:


1 Vegetable Tanned leather cover
1 finished piece of lining
2 finished pieces of lining for the pockets
Enough lace to finish the project 
1 needle for lacing
Instructions and a pattern

We will not be using the pattern as I want to try my basket weaving tool that I have had forever but have never used for some odd reason.  Also I never use the needle that is included.  It is OK to use in a pinch but I prefer the Perma Lok needles.  They work much better and if you treat them right they will last for a couple of years as opposed to the needles in the kit.  One project, maybe two, then they are done.  



These are the tools we will be using.  As you can see we will not be using that many for this project.  There is one more tool we will be using that isn't pictured here because I haven't received it yet.  When we start on the project I will include a picture of it.  The tools shown are:

A Mallet (I prefer rawhide mallets or if you can afford it, an Al Stohlman Maul or Mallet.  Avoid wooden mallets if you can.)  
A Swivel Knife
A Beveler
A Camoflage stamp
A Basket Weaving Tool




I also plan on treating this leather with Eco-Flo All in One Leather Finish.  I really like this product as I just have to do one or two coats and I'm done.  There isn't any need to brush on multiple products.  But this is up to you.  I use many types of finishes as you will see with future projects.  

I will be using a basic sponge to apply the finish and I have included my "drop cloth" for the impending mess.  Since I am forced to work in a very small area I use plastic bag as my drop cloth that I can reuse.  You can use simple paper bags or newspaper.  Whatever you have available.  

Finally it's good to have some basic rubber cement to glue the project together before you start lacing.  That way you won't have your project flopping around while you try to lace it.  I will be honest with you, I have just recently started to use rubber cement and glues in my leather crafting.  But for the most part I was using these kits and while it can be a slight annoyance it never bothered me that much.  Soon I found that more complicated projects really does well with rubber cement and some projects, like guitar straps, need special glue before you lace so the underside doesn't start to "bubble."  

Well that is all I have for today.  I should be starting on this project soon and I will be posting updates as I go.  Most of the projects will probably have multiple entries to show you each step of the process.  I would like feedback on this though.  If you would rather I wait until I finished the project and do one large entry I can do that as well.  Same amount of work either way.  Just let me know. 

Until next time, Happy Crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment